ISO 27001 defines how to organise information security in any kind of organisation, profit or non-profit, private or state-owned, small or large. It is safe to say that this standard is the foundation of information security management.
ISO 27001 is for information security the same thing that ISO 9001 is for quality – it is a standard written by the world’s best experts in the field of information security and aims to provide a methodology for the implementation of information security in an organisation. It also enables an organisation to get certified, which means that an independent certification body has confirmed that information security has been implemented in the best possible way in the organisation.
Given the importance of ISO 27001, many legislatures have taken this standard as a basis for drawing up different regulations in the field of personal data protection, protection of confidential information, protection of information systems, management of operational risks in financial institutions, etc.
Benefits of ISO 27001 Certification
- Competitive advantage – increasingly organisations you do business with will want to know how safe your IT systems are.
- Demonstrating your capability – you will be able to make a public statement of capability without revealing your security processes.
- Minimising risk – ensures controls are in place to reduce the risk of security threats and to avoid system weaknesses being exploited.
- Compliance with legislation – compliance provides a process whereby existing and potential legislation is identified.
- Globally recognised standard
- Potential reduction in insurance premiums
- Security becomes an integral part of business processes